Summer is a time to be carefree, try new things, meet new people, and just relax. You don’t want your breath to hold you back or cause you to worry all season long. In most cases, bad breath is caused by oral bacteria build up. If you don’t drink enough water, take medications to cause your mouth to be dry, or forget to brush your tongue, bacteria can form. To help you be worry-free this summer, we here at Reed Orthodontics have gathered some top tips for keeping your breath fresh:
- Continue brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes. Make sure to put extra effort into brushing the back of your tongue where bacteria is commonly found building up.
- Floss every day to make sure all food particles are removed from your teeth. It may be tough to remember to do but once it is worked into your routine you will notice a difference in your breath.
- Up your water intake and stay hydrated throughout the day. The more active you are, the more water you should drink. Swish cool water around in your mouth to freshen your breath in the morning.
- Replace your toothbrush every two to three months. It is important buy a soft bristle toothbrush if you have sensitive gums.
- To stimulate saliva production, chew sugarless piece of gum. While you can try a sugarless mint, it is less recommended.
- Keep your dental checkups and cleanings on a regular schedule. You should be seeing your dentist around every six months.
- If you’ve tried the tips above and your breath problem still continues, we recommend booking an appointment with us. Chronic bad breath may be a symptom of a more serious condition that needs treated.
By using our tips, just imagine how much extra time you will have this summer! You can head to a baseball game PNC Park or stop by the Pittsburgh Zoo. You can stop by one of the top places to get ice cream in the Burgh. Or use this extra time as an excuse to show off your pearly whites.